If you’ve ever had a damaged car window, you know that plastic is an easy way to cover the opening to prevent damage to the interior of your vehicle. However, there are a number of reasons why you should not cover your car windows with plastic! Many people are not aware of the dangers of using plastic to cover car windows and may not know the alternatives.
Drivers should avoid using plastic to cover their car windows for the following reasons:
1. It can be a safety hazard.
If you’re involved in a car accident, and your window is covered with plastic, the plastic can become a dangerous projectile. In addition, if you need to get out of your car in an emergency, the plastic can make it difficult for you to do so! There are also cases of drivers getting into accidents because they couldn’t see out of their plastic-covered windows. Don’t put your safety at risk – avoid using plastic to cover your car windows.
2. It can increase the temperature inside your car.
If you’re driving in the summer, covering your car windows with plastic can increase the temperature inside your car. This can be dangerous for both you and your passengers – especially if you’re traveling with young children or pets. In addition, if you’re caught in a traffic jam, the heat inside your car can quickly become unbearable. For drivers located in Arizona, California, Nevada, or any other hot state, this can be a major hazard.
3. It can cause your car to overheat.
Building off of the previous point, covering your car windows with plastic can also lead to your car overheating. This is because the plastic creates a greenhouse effect and prevents the air from circulating inside your car. If your car overheats, it can damage the engine or cause a fire. There are many cases of cars catching on fire due to overheating, so it’s important to avoid using plastic to cover your car windows.
4. It can damage your car window.
If you use plastic to cover your car windows, you run the risk of damaging the window itself. Plastic can be very abrasive and can easily scratch or puncture your car window. If you have a tinted window, using plastic can remove the tinting. In addition, if you have a sunroof, covering your car windows with plastic can prevent the sunroof from opening.
5. It can interfere with your visibility.
As mentioned earlier, using plastic to cover your car windows can severely impair your visibility while driving. This is because the plastic can create glare and reflections, making it difficult for you to see the road. In addition, if it rains while your windows are covered with plastic, the water will not be able to escape and will quickly accumulate on the inside of the plastic. This can also severely impair your visibility.
6. It’s not a permanent solution.
Lastly, using plastic to cover your car windows is not a permanent solution. If you have a damaged window, you will need to have it fixed eventually. Covering your windows with plastic may temporarily protect them from further damage, but it is not a long-term fix. You should always contact a professional auto glass company to have your car windows fixed.
As you can see, there are a number of reasons why drivers should not cover their car windows with plastic. Plastics can be dangerous, increase the temperature inside your car, and damage your window.
How Can I Protect My Glass Until Repairs?
Although it is not advisable to use plastic to cover car windows, sometimes there are no other options. If you find yourself in a situation where you need to cover your car windows, there are a few things you can do to protect them.
- Use a sun shield: Sun shields are a great way to protect your car windows from the sun’s rays. They are made of a reflective material that deflects the sun’s heat and prevents your car from getting too hot. Sun shields can be attached to the inside or outside of your car windows and come in a variety of sizes.
- Use window tint: Window tint also helps to protect your car windows from the sun’s rays. It is made of a dark material that blocks out the sun’s heat and prevents your car from getting too hot. Window tint can be installed on the inside or outside of your car windows and comes in a variety of shades.
- Use a windshield sunshade: A windshield sunshade is a type of sun shield that is specifically designed for cars with windshields. It attaches to the windshield and helps to protect the car from the sun’s rays.
- Use a tarp: If you don’t have any other options, you can use a tarp to cover your car windows. Make sure that the tarp is tightly secured and does not obstruct your view while driving.
It is always best to avoid using plastic to cover your car windows, as it can be dangerous and cause damage to your car.
Always Hire a Licensed Auto Glass Company
If you have any damage to your car windows, it is always best to hire a professional auto glass company. Licensed auto glass companies have the experience and expertise necessary to fix your car windows quickly and safely. They can also advise you on the best way to protect your car windows in the future.
How to Select a Glass Company
When selecting a glass company, it is important to consider the following factors:
- Experience: The company should have experience in repairing and replacing car windows.
- Licensing: The company should be licensed and insured.
- Reputation: The company should have a good reputation and be recommended by others.
- Price: The company should offer competitive prices without compromising on quality.
As you can see, there are a number of reasons why drivers should not cover their car windows with plastic. Plastics can be dangerous, increase the temperature inside your car, and damage your window. Drivers local to the Phoenix area should reach out to our team of experts for a consultation on the best way to protect their car windows. Contact us today!