As the temperature rises, so does the risk of car glass breaking. This is especially true for those who live in areas with severe weather changes. While you can’t always prevent accidents, there are steps you can take to protect your windshield and keep it in good condition.
This article will discuss the best ways to protect your car’s windshield from damage during the summer months. It will include the top tips to keep the windshield safe during summer and the pros of being proactive with windshield safety. The proper care and cleaning tips for windshields during warm months will be discussed, as well as how to prevent accidents due to broken glass. Finally, the importance of professional repairs over DIY repairs will be addressed, along with how to know if a glass company is trustworthy.
Read on to learn more about how to protect your car’s windshield from damage during the summer.
The Top Tips for Windshield Protection During the Summer
1. Always use sunscreen when you’re driving. Not only is it important to protect your skin from the sun, but it’s also crucial to protect your car’s glass. A windshield sunscreen will help keep the glass from becoming damaged and will make it less likely to break in the event of an accident.
2. Try to Park in a Shaded Area. Parking in a shaded area will help keep your car’s glass cooler and will prevent it from becoming damaged by the sun.
3. Use a Windshield Cover. A windshield cover is a great way to protect your car’s glass from the sun and from other elements.
4. Be Careful when Using Harsh Cleaners. When cleaning your car, be careful not to use any cleaners that are too harsh on the glass. This can damage the windshield and make it more likely to break.
5. Repair Chips and Cracks Promptly. If you do notice any chips or cracks in your windshield, it’s important to have them repaired as soon as possible. By doing so, you’ll help prevent the damage from spreading and you’ll be less likely to have an accident.
The Pros of Being Proactive with Windshield Safety
There are many benefits to being proactive about windshield safety. Some of these include:
1. You’ll be less likely to have an accident. If your windshield is in good condition, it will be less likely to break in the event of an accident.
2. You’ll save money on repairs. By taking care of any chips or cracks in your windshield, you’ll prevent them from becoming worse and you’ll save money on repairs.
3. You’ll help keep the environment safe. When a broken windshield is replaced, the old glass often ends up in landfills. By repairing your windshield instead of replacing it, you’ll help keep unnecessary glass out of the landfill.
Risks of Driving with Damaged Auto Glass
While it’s important to take precautions to protect your car’s windshield, it’s also crucial to remember that driving with a damaged windshield is not safe. Some of the risks of driving with damaged auto glass include:
1. Reduced visibility. A damaged windshield can impede your vision and make it difficult to see clearly while driving.
2. Increased risk of accidents. A damaged windshield is more likely to break in the event of an accident, which can lead to serious injuries.
3. Increased risk of fines. Many states have laws that prohibit driving with a damaged windshield, and you may be fined if you’re caught doing so.
The Proper Care and Cleaning Tips for Auto Glass during Warm Months
Below are some tips for properly caring for and cleaning your car’s windshield during the warm months:
1. Use a mild soap and water solution to clean the glass. Avoid using any harsh chemicals or cleaners, as they can damage the glass.
2. Dry the glass thoroughly after washing it. This will help prevent streaks and spots.
3. Wax the glass regularly. This will help protect it from the elements and make it easier to clean.
4. Inspect the glass regularly for chips and cracks. If you notice any damage, be sure to have it repaired as soon as possible.
Preventing Accidents Due to Broken Glass
There are several things you can do to prevent accidents due to broken glass:
1. Park the car until you can have the glass repaired
2. Use a windshield sunshade to help keep the glass cool
3. Use a windshield cover to protect the glass from the elements
4. Take caution when using harsh cleaners on the glass
5. Repair any chips or cracks in the windshield as soon as possible
DIY vs. Professional Windshield Repairs
When it comes to repairing a windshield, there are two options: DIY or professional. Here are some of the pros and cons of each:
1. It’s cheaper than having a professional do it.
2. You can do it yourself at home.
1. It can be challenging to do it correctly.
2. If you don’t fix it properly, it can be even more expensive in the long run.
3. It can be dangerous if you don’t have the proper training or equipment.
1. They have the training and experience to do it correctly.
2. They often have the necessary equipment to do a good job.
3. It’s usually cheaper in the long run than doing it yourself.
4. You can often get a warranty on the work that is done.
1. It can be expensive.
2. It can take a while to get an appointment with a professional.
3. You may need to take your car to a shop, which can be inconvenient.
4. Not all professionals are trustworthy.
How to Know if a Glass Company is Trustworthy
When choosing a glass company to repair your windshield, it’s important to do your research and make sure you choose a reputable company. Here are some tips for finding a trustworthy glass company:
1. Check online reviews. Look for reviews on websites like Yelp or Google Reviews.
2. Ask for referrals from friends or family members.
3. Contact your local Better Business Bureau to see if they have any information on the company.
4. Get quotes from several companies before making a decision. This will help you compare prices and services offered.
5. Ask the company about their experience and training. This will help you gauge their level of expertise.
6. Look for companies that offer a warranty on their work.
Auto glass damage can be a serious hazard, both in terms of safety and law. It’s important to take care of your windshield and have any chips or cracks repaired as soon as possible. In addition to following the proper care and cleaning tips for auto glass, you can also take precautions to prevent accidents due to broken glass. If you do experience windshield damage, it’s best to have it repaired by a professional. Not all companies are trustworthy, so be sure to do your research before choosing one.