How Much Will It Cost to Repair a Windshield?
One day you wake up and discover a large crack in the windshield of your car. You’re not sure how it got there, and now you’re left wondering what you have to do to fix it. The cost, however, is what concerns you the most! How much will you need to pay a professional to repair it? Will you need to replace your windshield entirely? We want to help answer those questions.
A professional auto glass repair specialist will usually offer you a free estimate. You should always figure out the cost ahead of time so that you can compare the prices of different repair services and find a budget-friendly deal. This way you can establish a financial plan.
What Are My Options?
You essentially have two options: windshield repair and windshield replacement services. The type of service you choose will depend on the extent of damage to your windshield. Do you have a small crack or minor chipping? Or, do you a large crack that encompasses the entire windshield? Here is some additional information on your repair options:
- Windshield Repairs: With small cracks, a simple repair surface will suffice. When it comes to minor damage, your insurance provider will usually pay for the repairs (this shouldn’t affect your insurance rates either). However, you should contact your insurance company to determine what they will and won’t cover.
- Windshield Replacements: Replacements are necessary when the damage is a lot worse. Any many cases, your insurance will also cover replacements, but again, you will need to find this out ahead of time. Out-of-pocket repairs are going to vary according to the extent of the damage and the type of vehicle you drive. You haven’t met your deductible, you will need to pay everything off until the amount is reached.
How Will I Know if My Insurance Will Cover Any Repair Costs?
Many insurance companies will offer coverage for windshield repairs with no deductible. This is usually only available for people with comprehensive coverage. You may end up having to pay the deductible. These situations depend on the type of coverage you have.
We also want to mention that any crack under six inches in length can be repaired. Minor cracks won’t require you to replace your entire windshield. Now, we want to discuss the average price range for repairs:
How Much Does It Cost to Repair?
The cost to repair your windshield will depend on several different factors, such as the extent of the damage as well as the make and year of your car. You can usually expect to pay anywhere between $200 to $1000 for repair services, but the average range is between $200 and $400. Again, you should check with your insurance provider to determine what they will cover.
What Will Affect the Price of Windshield Repair Service?
There are a number of factors that you will need to consider. This includes the make/model of your car. The make of every windshield is different in terms of the shape and density of the glass. The size of the windshield will also affect the price you will need to pay to replace it. Some windshields are more complex than others and cost more to repair due to technological differences.
You are now probably wondering about the technology used with modern windshields. This encompasses the curvature and design of the windshield, as well as the individual features. Many modern windshields contain heat, rain, or light sensors, as well as heated glass and integrated mirrors. Hydrophobic coatings also affect the price of repairs.
Windshields that are complex and modernized are usually going to cost you more money to repair. Labor costs will reflect the additional amount of effort and efficiency it takes to fix up some of these newer windshields.
Get a Windshield Repair Quote
You should always shop around before you decide on hiring a repair specialist. Here is how you should go about it:
- Create a List of Repair Companies: Call around and establish a list of windshield repair specialists in your area. Try to get an idea of their professionalism in addition to their prices. Compare the companies and try to determine which one will offer the service that benefits you the most.
- Prioritize Safety: Safety should always be your top priority, Which is why you never want to put off repairs. Cracked and damaged windshields represent a major safety hazard, and you need to fix them as soon as you possibly can. You also want to find a repair service that specializes in windshields and automotive glass.
- Compare Prices: Most auto glass repair companies will offer you a free estimate to repair your vehicle. Once they offer you a price, go ahead and compare your options. Try to determine the pros and cons of each repair specialist. You should never base your decision on the price alone. You want to aim for affordable, not cheap.
- Choose Your Repair Service: Now you have all the information you need to choose a repair company. We always recommend that you set up an in-person appointment with your auto glass repair specialist and discuss payment options.
You should always repair your windshield as soon as you possibly can. That crack is going to get a lot worse as time goes on, which can lead to serious structural damage to your vehicle. Furthermore, a damaged windshield is a major cause for concern, and you should always prioritize everyone’s safety.